Been doing a lot of thinking lately and realizing that the root of anxiety comes down to two things (in most people):
1. Caring about what other people think.
2. Not knowing what you truly value in life.
Therefore, I have decided to compile a list of what really matters to me. This way, I can shut down negative thoughts about myself and recognize the beauty that is my life.
1. Friends and family
2. My health and well-being
3. Helping others
4. Working towards becoming a doctor (more of a follow up to 3)
5. Having good experiences
6. Being happy which takes place in so many forms!!! (You do not have to follow what is “cool.” Just do what makes you happy. Staying in with a couple close friends is just as “cool” as going out with a bunch of strangers.)
7. Staying true to myself
8. Being the most kind, compassionate, down-to-earth person I can be
I’ve noticed recently that the superficiality of social media can really make us feel down and look at our peers as better than ourselves. I know that I will never be one of those cool girls on Instagram because that is just not who I am and not what I prefer to spend my time working towards. I do, however, know that this doesn’t say anything about who I am as a person.
When we recognize our values, we realize that everyone has some type of facade. We do not all share the same values, but we all strive to have these picture perfect lives that don’t really exist. What is important is to stay close to our core values and set free our minds to be happy with who we are and what we have.
This is more of a personal post that I wrote without intentions of posting. You can fill in the blanks with what your values are and add to my list.